TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If I paid for a hotel room by the week for my son who is 24

If I paid for a hotel room by the week for my son who is 24 and now he is in jail. He is still in jail processing so I cannot visit him yet. Am I not allowed access to his motel room to get his things and get a refund for the remaining days I paid for?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Q: Am I not allowed access to his motel room to get his things and get a refund for the remaining days I paid for?
A: Unfortunately, the answer is no, unless (1) your son authorizes you to access the room and get his things, and (2) the hotel voluntarily agrees to cancel the room and return the money.

So, it sounds like your instincts were correct. If I were you, I would wait for your son to sign something stating that you have the authority to access the room and get his things, and request that the room be canceled. The hotel will likely allow you to get his things at that point, but they would not be obligated to give you a refund. However, it certainly won't hurt to ask since they may give you the refund.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!