Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I Had a Provincial Government job, a job I loved, and was very

Customer Question

I Had a Provincial Government job, a job I loved, and was very good at.A few years ago, I became very ill, and had to use all sick leave,and eventually had to resign frommy job.
When I applied for LTD, I was turned down on the contention that my illness did not appear to be work caused.
My family doctor determined that I was depressed,and would NOT refer me to someone who specialised in what I strongly suspected was CF/fibromyalgia. It took me 6 years to finally get into a specialist(had to be sneaky about it),who, after a four hour exam informed me that I am not clinically depressed, crazy,imagining my myriad symptoms.Guess what? big surprise-I have Fibromyalgia/CFS.
My question is twofold:is there a statute of limitations on whether I cam fight for my LTD?
Can I sue my doctor for not listening to me?
I missed many many appointments over the years, as I was too ill to go to them.
I did not appeal my LTD because I was too ill, and had NO support
Ihave lost my health, was told It was all in my head, my husband deserted me,I had to give up a career I loved, which was a big part of my identity.
My problem at present is, I do not know if I can appeal for something that took sooooo long to prove-yet I feel that I deserve the benefits.
I am financially completely depleted at present, when, if I had been diagnosed,in a timely fashion would not have had my life, and nor the lives of my children, so profoundly impacted.Any Answers?Keep in mind, this is Canadian law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!