Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I BOUGHT A BOAT BACK IN 2010 I GOT THE TRAILOR TITLE AND A

Customer Question

I BOUGHT A BOAT BACK IN 2010 I GOT THE TRAILOR TITLE AND A BILL OF SALE FOR THE BOAT.BEEN SEARCHING FOR THE PERSON I GOT BOAT FROM CANT FIND HIM I SENT A CERTIFIED LETTER TO HIS LAST ADRESS HIS MOTHER SAID SHE DID NOT KNOW HIS LOCATION. LETTER WAS SENT BACK TO ME. CAN I TAKE THIS TO COURT AND HAVE THE JUDGE GIVE ME TITLE TO THE BOAT? FISH AND GAME GAVE ME A LOST TITLE FORM TO HAVE LAST OWNER TO SIGN AND RETURN TOME.BUT CANT FIND HIM I FOUND HIS FAMILY MEMBERS BUT CANT GET A HOLD OF THEM EITHER.WHAT CAN I DO?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Have you showed the bill of sale and the unopened returned certified letter to the California Department of Fish and Game? I would think that would be enough to get the new title without having to bother with court (i.e., that is how it is done with regard to motor vehicles with no title).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HELLO mike here i was trying to register boat in nevada because i fish there but live in calif witch is legal. the cirtified letter was opened.i also sent a money order to pay a notary witch i put in writeing at bottom for notary so it could only be used by notary it was sent back to me also nev has paper work from last time boat was registered but needs a lost title signed in front of notary every thing i sent was returned in larger envelope. fish and game handles boat reg in nev thesedays i went to my county court house in alpine county calif but was told they could not give me any legal direction they dont have free legal help.i havebeen forced to retire because i have sever maculer degeneration in both my eyes i really wanted to spend some time out on the lake while i can still see to drive my boat myself.the way things are going that will not happen. i guess i have seen every thing iam going to see.i would really appreciat any advice you can give me. thank you mike
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

I'm going to open this up to all attorney's for their review, as I won't be able to get back to this question for a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need an answer i need help opening my question to all layers is fine with me .thank vou