GoLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.

I sent $5K to someone, Western Union asked me what it was for,

I sent $5K to someone, Western Union asked me what it was for, and because of my answer they refused to pay the money to the recipient.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

Slow down just a little bit, you may actually be thanking them. A Western Union transfer is the main way scammers operate and WU has a list of known scammers. Can you give me some information on why you are making the transfer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was sending it to a person, she just happened to be going to use it to get her father out of jail, but I should have the right to send my money to someone so they can use it however they choose. Even if "I" was scammed, how does that affect WU when they are sending MY money and I paid them a lot to send it! See my point? :) If I would have lied and said it was for something else, like a vacation, they would have been ok with it?
You do have the right to be scammed if you so desire. Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's it? No advice about who I can complain to to get results?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The person I was sending the money to was my niece!

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please keep in mind that this is a public forum and information posted here is not confidential.

Western Union has instituted these policies because of the prevalence of "Nigerian Scams," where fraudsters contact people by e-mail or telephone and tell them they have won a prize, inherited millions, etc., and they only need to send a small amount of money for legal or proceeding fees. The policy is intended to protect customers, but it sounds like it worked against you in this case.

Western Union is a private company and can refuse to do business with a person. That being said, you were dissatisfied with their service and I can understand that you want your concerns addressed. The first course of action would be to contact the corporate headquarters to advise them of what happened. This may assist them in tailoring their policies to avoid future experiences like you had.

In addition, Western Union is regulated by the U.S. Comptroller of the Currency. You can file a complaint with them (

GoLaw, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with eight years of experience in business law and landlord-tenant law.