Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Why would a employee & Manager Stalk a Customer I said prejudice i

Why would a employee & Manager Stalk a Customer I said prejudice in Store at a Giant Food Store Allentown, Bethlehem, Pa. and turn head when look at them
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Generally, store employees "stalk" customers either because they suspect the customer of stealing because the customer is acting suspicious OR because they are profiling the customer by race or national origin and believe they may be a thief based on that which is ILLEGAL discrimination. Generally the latter is the most common reason store employees follow customers around because they do not know the customer enough to have enough on them to actually suspect them of possibly stealing in most cases.

If this is the case, then it is grounds to file a complaint of discrimination to the state commission on human rights and also for suing for discrimination and seeking damages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This situation started when I said something to the cashier about being prejudice and told the Manager. I feel like being intimated or harrassed when I walk in the store for grocery. I never stole from any store.
It certainly sounds like I was right then, it sounds to me like they are following you based on race or some discriminatory ground and this is a complaint you can file with the Commission on Human/Civil Rights and even the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and you could sue them for a civil rights violation.