Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I am requesting the proper format for a petition to present

Customer Question

I am requesting the proper format for a petition to present to Congress requesting the
recognition of one calendar day each year. This day will be similar to Earth Day on
April 22nd. I shall make this petition available for signatures at a future conference, and on-line. Thank you. J.H. Woolwine
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 4 years ago.

There is no special format that is required to petition Congress to make such a request. You would simply need set forth the reasons why you and others believe that Congress should proclaim a particular as worthy of special recognition. Traditionally this is done in a series of paragraphs beginning with "WHEREAS." And then you would conclude the petition by simply including language something along the lines of "NOW BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE AND SENATE that [date] is designated as ......."

If you want to take a look at an example see:

Woman's History Month

I would reach out to your local congressman with the idea presenting the proposed language of the proclamation, and if the congressman is favorable to the idea will be able to introduce it for a vote.