How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36189
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented a house in Ca. two weeks ago. My landlord was arrested

Resolved Question:

I rented a house in Ca. two weeks ago. My landlord was arrested and charged with fraud in excess of $300,000 this past week. A judge froze all of his assets. Should I continue paying rent ( considering he is holding a large security deposit ) ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
That's interesting. Can you tell me more about the underlying offense? What is the defendant accused of actually doing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is a doctor, he is accused of defrauding medicare. Prosecutor stated he is a flight risk because he is from egypt and has extensive international travel. Security deposit was over $ 10,000
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I was wondering if it was a "rent skimming" case (Civil Code 890-894), which would give you different rights as a tenant, than would apply to other types of criminal actions. It's not, so I shall dispense with that consideration.

Legally, you have no right to simply stop paying rent. If the prosecutor has obtained an order from the court to turnover the landlord's passport, then he's not going anywhere. Though, there is certainly a risk that he will file for bankruptcy or simply squander all of your deposit.

The court having frozen the landlord's assets has also probably frozen your security deposit. California law makes the security deposit the highest priority debt, except for child and spousal support. However, if the doctor is being prosecuted in federal court, then California law will not protect you. Which means that your deposit is at risk, in my opinion. You may want to ask the prosecutor if he/she would ask the court for an order to segregate your deposit from the doctor's other assets so as to protect them from being used for any purpose other than as security for your rent. I think that's a reasonable request. If the DA or U.S. Attorney won't help, you could file a civil action and ask the court to make the order under the legal theory that your deposit may be unfairly forfeit to the government (frankly, it's probably not worth the money to hire a lawyer to do this, but I'm trying to be thorough with the options).

Other than that, you have a choice: you can just stop paying and wait and see if the doctor is so busy with his troubles that he forgets about your rent payments. Then, if you manage to use up your $10,000, you could start paying again and hope that the landlord doesn't bring an unlawful detainer action against you.

But, once again, from a pure legal standpoint, you don't have grounds to simply stop paying rent. So, you'll have to make the judgment call. I certainly wouldn't blame you were you to stop paying, because there's a pretty good chance that you will lose that $10K, unless the DA/U.S. Attorney agrees to help you out.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36189
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions