socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

what would be the benefit in California of NOT going for nonprofit

what would be the benefit in California of NOT going for nonprofit cooperative status?
our case is a group wanting to transform a local bookstore that has become a local community arts haven into a space for partnering local artists and collectors to help maintain (pay the rent and insurance) to be able to promote/share and sell their crafts and services on consignment. but the cooperative would not make or seek to profit, only to sustain the capacity for the larger community arts purpose.
A consumer cooperative operates for the benefit of the membership where the members are also the patrons of the cooperative. If you are selling to the public then a nonprofit public benefit corporation is probably a better choice. Ultimately, what really matters is obtaining IRS 501(c)(3) qualification. The state incorporation formalities are an artifact of a system that predates the federal tax-exempt organization laws, and the public benefit corporation is the most flexible of the state nonprofit forms, because there is no restriction on the public purposes available.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!