Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Hello. I have a friend who recently exposed himself on chat

Hello. I have a friend who recently exposed himself on chat roulette, and also on a site that functioned just like chat roulette. In retrospect, he became paranoid that his exposure may come back and haunt him, either for general exposure or accidental exposure to a minor. He does not believe any minors witnessed his exposure, but seeing as how the site functions by randomly and quickly pairing up two individuals, he is unsure. He is worried that the exposure may come back and ruin his career or potential careers. He dwells on this constantly, and I was curious as to how likely it is that this experience could become a serious legal issue. He was and is a 19 year old male. Anything helps, Thanks!
.
Thank you for using JA. I looked at the site and if I understand the website correctly, it momentarily pauses on other users of the site with webcameras and then moves on to someone else.
.
If this is the case, then as long as friend didn't seek out minors and intentionally expose himself to a minor, then he wouldn't be in any trouble. The brief interaction, even if it was a minor, was not specifically targeted towards a minor, and would have been a random encounter. As long as friend didn't specifically target minors, then I would opine that he didn't have anything to worry about. Also I am not sure how any one user could record or document an interaction with another user with such a brief encounter.
.
Additionally it looks like there is a confirmation area that someone has to specifically agree that they are 18 and don't object to nudity. So if minors are in that area, they are violating site rules.
.
I would opine that friend didn't have anything to worry about.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. Also, could the mere exposure be an issue? You were talking about exposure to minors, and how he shouldn't worry because of the described reasons, but could his exposure in itself, to anyone of any age, be a potential legal issue? Thanks Again!
I wouldn't think so because the other users of the site have to specifically agree that they aren't bothered by nudity to get to the part of the site that isn't restricted. Essentially if the user doesn't want the chance of being exposed to nudity, they shouldn't be in that area of the site.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah I see. What if my friend did not access the unrestricted area, meaning he did not specifically agree to anything?
Well, then technically he could get in trouble from the site by revealing nudity in an area where it was not permitted. What the site would do, I have no idea, but banning is likely. But once again, I find it highly unlikely that anyone who might have seen him would be able to 1. identify him 2. file a formal complaint and 3. pursue any action against him.
.
But for future reference, friend should only visit the "18+ area" if nudity is involved so as to avoid any problems, sitewide or otherwise.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

.