Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

An LLC, funded at $1,000,000 initially by 15 shareholders funding

An LLC, funded at $1,000,000 initially by 15 shareholders funding unequal amounts of shares needs a cash infusion. Some have chosen not to participate in a capital call nor be a cosigner on a standard bank loan. How is this handled in relation to valuation of individual assets in the LLC? Which is the better way to fund the needed cash infusion?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Does the Operating Agreement of the LLC address the issue of additional cash needed by the LLC?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does not address the issue of unequal participation and how this affects the the percentage of ownership based on original investment.There must be legal precedent for this situation somewhere. This is what I am asking you to find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You did not give me an answer based on legal precedent. Operating agreement does not address inequalities in subsequent contributions via capital call or cosigning a loan.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

There is....I was answering your question while you replied....in the Limited Liability Company Act. If the Operating Agreement is silent, and the members cannot agree upon how any additional funding will affect ownership, then the allocation of profits and losses will be based on the capital accounts of the members, including these additional contributions, and cash distributions will be distributed pursuant to those capital accounts. See Sections 25.15.200 and 25.15.205 of the Act. Typically, however, if the foregoing is not enough of a carrot for the contributing members and the Operating Agreement is silent, the members willing to put up money will mandate an amendment to the Operating Agreement to be signed by all members before putting any money up so that the contributing members get what they demand before they put the money up. This would usually result in these members getting a preferential yield and/or preferential distribution and/or a change on ownership interests.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to
you. If the information seems more general than

specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information and
not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break
.

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "
Continue Conversation Link" so I
can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.