Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is it against the law to tape a notice on the outside of a

Is it against the law to tape a notice on the outside of a mailbox?
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

Not really. US federal law is mainly concerned with stopping defacing, tampering, and destroying mail box property. When a mailbox is put into use for the purposes of sending and receiving mail, it becomes federal property. Mailbox tampering is when one interferes with another person's letter box or other receptacle.

According to 18 USC Chapter 83/1705, destruction is defined as tearing down, injuring, defacing or destroying a mailbox or receptacle intended for delivery or receipt of the mail, and it has to be done willfully or maliciously.

What she has done was simply tape some cards to a mailbox - this is arguably far from being a federal crime. While it is a good idea to refrain from doing so again in the future, it is highly unlikely that the federal prosecutor is going to see this as anything worth prosecuting at all...

Your daughter can relax.

IMPORTANT INFO: Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My daughter was told putting a card on the mailbox could be considered vandalism. She did go and remove any cards that still remained but she is really scared of the possibility she did something illegal.
I do want to put forth that calling that "vandalism" would be a vast exaggeration. The legislative focus of 18 USC Chapter 83/1705 is focused on malicious and willful defacement and destruction of mail receptacles.

Taping a small business card to each is simply not that. Period. No district attorney would ever prosecute for this matter because it is beyond ludicrous to spend thousands of dollars to prosecute a small business advertising attempt that had small business cards taped on a mailbox.

However, since it can make some individuals mad who own the mailboxes, it is best not to do this again in the future.