Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

I fell in my cousins home and received a hairline fracture

I fell in my cousins home and received a hairline fracture of my femur, was in the hospital for 4 days, and now recuperating. I would like to get a settlement out of this accident. Will my homeowners settle with me or do I have to go after her policy. do i need a lawyer?

LADYLAWYER : Hi there!
LADYLAWYER : While your HO policy would cover you, since your cousin has a policy too, that one would be primary. Also, it is always in your best interest to make a claim against the other party's insurance policy, if you are able. And you can, in this instance.
LADYLAWYER : You may claim things like loss of income, pain and suffering, permanent injury and medical expenses.

Hi my computer isacting up so bear with me

LADYLAWYER : You will need to send her insurance company a demand package in order to make a formal demand.
LADYLAWYER : Okay, no problem! Can you see my typing?

do I need a lawyer

LADYLAWYER : Not at first, if you want to try to settle this yourself. You are certainly allowed to do so. A lawyer is going to take 40% of anything you receive off the top.

what amount should

LADYLAWYER : A demand package includes a demand letter and attachments of all of the documentation to prove your case. The demand letter is where the attorney (or you, in this case) discusses the facts of the accident and all subsequent losses you have suffered because of it.
LADYLAWYER : That depends. And usually takes a full assessment of all your losses.

what determines my losses

LADYLAWYER : If you have a permanent injury and get a "rating" for that, then that would play a huge role too.
LADYLAWYER : As I mentioned above, medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering and any permanent injury.

am thinking it will take 8

weeks to see how my leg heals

LADYLAWYER : You are welcome! If that covers al your bills and then some, that's a good start.
LADYLAWYER : You just want to add everything up.

LADYLAWYER : Also, if you have any more questions about this as you go along, just feel free to come back and ask them at no addiitonal charge.
LADYLAWYER : Sign back in, Go to my questions and then click on this question link and reply to me.
LADYLAWYER : I will leave it open for you, even after you have left a rating.
LADYLAWYER : That way, if you have any questions about damages as you go forward,mi can help.
LADYLAWYER : Also, if the insurance company rejects your demand, then you may want to think about getting an attorney.
LADYLAWYER : If you have any further questions about this, I am of course more than happy to keep assisting you! If not, please consider leaving me an excellent service rating as the rating system determines our employ with the site. If you need anything further at all, please reply before you consider a negative rating. Thank you!