TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Can I buy a car in my state of Oregon but then give it t my

Can I buy a car in my state of Oregon but then give it t my son who lives in California without causiing him issues with registration and taxes?

Thank you for your question.

If you plan on having the title of the car remain in your name, then you do not have to register it in California. However, if you plan on giving him the title to the car, he will have to register the car in California.

Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Please let me know if you have additional questions or if you need more detail.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the CA sales tax? Do I have to pay that if I buy the car in Oregon and immediately drive it to CA and have it registered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,What about the CA sales tax?  Do I have to pay that if I buy the car in Oregon and immediately drive it to CA and have it registered?
Unfortunately yes, the California legislation has long been wise to the fact that several states around it don't have sales tax. In order to level the playing field, California collects a "use" tax.

In your case, when the vehicle is brought in the Vehicle Licensing Fee (registration fee) will also include "use" tax, which will all be determined by the purchase price in Oregon.