TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

If a codefendent in a case signs a plee does the other have

If a codefendent in a case signs a plee does the other have to sign one as well? Or can they decide to go to trial?
No, you don't have to accept the same plea as your co-defendant and you can decide to go to trial if you want.

However, this may throw off the co-defendant's chance to make a plea. Also, part of the plea bargain could be a request that the co-defendant testify against you. Things to watch out for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me specify in more detail. My co defendent is wanting to sign a plea but i am also a witness in his behalf as well as a defendant. I on the other hand do not want to sign a plea due to the fact that what they a trying to charge me with I am not guilty of. How does that work
You don't have to accept the same plea bargain as he and can maintain your plea of not guilty. His decision to sign a plea bargain does not limit your ability to refuse the same offer.

If you are not guilty and they do not have any evidence which might make a jury believe otherwise, then do not accept the plea deal and go to trial.