Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

this is a california work comp question. i am pres of a corporation

this is a california work comp question. i am pres of a corporation in construction (small co) we are having a final audit for last years comp. due to timing, we have not been able to meet with the auditor and have had to change the dates a couple of times. the auditor told me that if we don't meet they (ins co) will charge me an additinal 1/2 of the total premium. i am ok with that because that is what i would owe (or maybe a little more) any. then i got a letter stating that if they don't do the audit soon, they can charge me up to 3x's the total premium stating a Florida law. i have looked over my policy, that is not in there. my question is this. does ca have a law which states how much a comp co. can charge additionly if a company does not allow a final audit.
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

Your question will require some legal research on my part. Please check back for an answer shortly.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what Florida Law the Insurance Company is citing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are qouting NCCI florida state special audit rule H 4440.3381(8)
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
The rule they are citing is not a legal rule or regulation. It is from a private insurance association. You insurance company may use their standards, but they cannot demand that you pay them an additional amount of premium.

The State of California does not set workers compensation insurance rates. Thus, what's going on in your case is that your insurance policy (somewhere in the fine print) has stated that if an audit is not allowed, the insurance company is allowed to treble the premium in order to cover the non-assessed risk. In many cases, failure to comply with an audit request in a timely fashion will result in cancellation of the policy altogether.

However, again, there is no law in California prohibiting what the insurance company is doing.

Please let me know if you need further information.

-ZDN
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs