TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

My mother died a few days ago in a nursing home My sister

My mother died a few days ago in a nursing home

My sister is trying to find documents related to insurances but she is not in a very clear frame of mind to deal with this.

My Mother died in London -- Woolwich UK

My sister is in north London

I live in Illinois in the US so I am trying to do this all from a distance right now.

Is there a central database of some kind that has these records ?

Do local solicitors handling the will record their status as executor somewhere ?

Let me break down your question and get some more information before we go on.

1. Did your mother leave a will?

2. What kind of insurance documents are you referring to? Life Insurance?

I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume she did -- she was pretty responsible but I do not know who the executor would be.

Yes - Life insurance -- I understand from a friend who was visiting with her that she also had a policy for funeral expenses -- Again - I do not know more than that.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, these things are all about paperwork. In regards XXXXX XXXXX Will, these are not documents which are filed with any government office in the UK. Rather, they remain in the possession of your mother and the solicitor who drafted it for her. The solicitor is not necessarily the executor of the will. Your mother would choose who she wishes to be the executor and state that in the will. In short, you need to find the actual Will in her documents, or some document pointing out what solicitor she used so you can get a copy of the Will from him/her.

The same is true for life insurance. You need to be able to find a copy of the policy information in order to make a claim with the life insurance company. There is no database you can search to determine this. You have to get ahold of either the policy itself, or a premium invoice that would list the insurance company's contact information from whom you could get the necessary information to file a claim.

This is really not something you can handle by remote control. If your sister is not in the proper frame of mind to be able to complete these tasks and there is no one else to do it for you, then this might require a visit to the UK to handle yourself.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You

I suspected that I would get that reply , but it helps to know I am not missing any short cuts !

I will start with the bank statements when I get them and go on from there

Thank You again for your help.

Geoff Temple
Best of luck and my condolences to you through this trying time.