TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

A elder lady would like to apply for US citizenship but has

A elder lady would like to apply for US citizenship but has a hard time with the exam because she does not speak english well. Are there any ways around the exam for her?
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Generally, not. A working knowledge of English is required to become a U.S. Citizen. However, there are some exceptions. You may claim exempt from this requirement if, on the date of filing:

1. You have been residing in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident for 15 years or more, and are over 55 years of age
2. You have been residing in the U.S. as a lawful permanent resident for 20 years or more, and are over 50 years of age, or

3. You have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects your ability to learn English

If your friend met these exceptions on the date they filed for citizenship, then they can get likely have a different format of citizenship test. You must request this thought from Immigration and fill out the proper forms. These forms will be available at Immigration upon request.

Please let me know if you need further information.

-ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs