JPEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor

When my son was 16 he and a friend of his, did damage to someone

When my son was 16 he and a friend of his, did damage to someone's home. He had a judgment against him for over $5.000. Since he was a minor the judge is making me pay the restitution. I could not pay it at the time. Now I have a garnishment on my wages. Now that my son is over 18. Is there any way that I get the garnishment taken off of me and have him liable for this.

Unfortunately, the act was committed when he was a minor, and thus he would have to agree to "ratify" the judgment as an adult. The fact that he is now an adult, would not mean that he would now become legally responsible for the judgment.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there is no way for you to force this onto him legally at this point. Sorry. I wish I had better news, but this is the reality of your situation. Please understand that my responsibility is to give you a legally correct answer, which is what I have done.