RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

what do you do when you have a lawyer that keeps making excuses

what do you do when you have a lawyer that keeps making excuses for herself and the other lawyer, after i have already payed her 10,000. this hase gone on for a year.i now can not aford another lawyer.and things do not seem to be comming to an end. how do i get her to do her job?

Thank you for your question today. I appreciate your patience while I responded to you. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you've made every good faith effort to work with your lawyer, including putting your concerns in writing to the lawyer and specifically stating what you want (a good idea because then if they ignore you, the letter can be used against them), you can file a complaint against your lawyer with the State Bar of California.

Lawyers have an ethical obligation to zealously represent thier clients, to remain in contact, and to protect their interests. If the lawyer is not carrying out their duties and potentially putting your case at risk, it is cause for concern.

These complaints are taken seriously by the bar and can result in attorney discipline. It's possible that once the bar notifies your lawyer that a complaint has been filed, it may serve as a "wake up" call to them and resolve any of the lingering issues with your case.

Beyonf that, of course you always have the right to terminate your lawyer's services at any time and either hire represent yourself or hire someone else - though I understand you may not be in a position to do that at this time. Additionally, if you feel that your lawyer has been negligent in the handling of your case, there is always the option of suing your lawyer for legal malpractice.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!