Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

My father put his second home in all three childrens names

My father put his second home in all three children’s names with a Life tenancy for himself on the property. My father is still alive and going strong. Can he reverse this? The house is in Barnstable County MA.

Because of my sister’s continuing money issues my father has never told my sister about putting the house in all our names. If my sister declares bankruptcy in Norfolk County will my father’s house to open to covering her debts?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Unfortunately, if the deed was signed and delivered it is a legally and binding transaction and he cannot take back unilaterally what he no longer owns. She would have to agree to quit claim it back to him. I'm presuming that even if father never told her, he did record the deed, which would constitute delivery. If she will not agree, and she were to file bankruptcy, it would only affect her remainder interest in the property, it would not impact father's life estate.

I hope this has given
you information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more
general than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide
information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up
question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up
questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break
.

If you do have any additional questions about
my answer please click the "
Continue Conversation Link" so I
can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please
be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive
no credit for my answers
.

Thanks for allowing me
to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is
not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws
and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.