Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What are the ramifications of a police officer investigating

What are the ramifications of a police officer investigating the murder of man initiating an affair with the victim's at the same time? what are the consequenses to the case and to the officer.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I am typing out my answer. Please understand the following important points: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

You state "initiating an affair with the victim's at the same time."

With the victim's what, exactly? Friend, cousin, spouse? And is this individual with whom an affair exists a witness or a party of interest to the case?

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The officer has initiated an affair with the victim's mother who is the point of contact for reporting police progress in the case to the victim's family.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

For the Investigation
If eventually a Defendant is found and charged, the Defendant's attorney can use this as a defense to the murder, claiming that the investigating officer was guilty of impropriety and thus, how is it known that the investigation results are correct? While this is not damning evidence, it may be enough to impeach the credibility of the investigation and hinder the prosecution.

For the Officer
The officer is acting inappropriately and if this comes out, he risks administrative sanction and career problems. His actions are highly inappropriate because this affair renders the investigation questionable due to his presumed inability to be neutral in the matter. In addition, he is simply breaking rules of conduct per his profession.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me an idea of how severe the consequenses can be for the officer. Would it include job loss?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

The ramifications would definitely depend on how far the improper conduct would affect the investigation.

If the matter does not affect the investigation, this may result in a private reprimand. It is unlikely that this would go into his jacket, because the authorities would not want to make this available to the defense attorney if the defense attorney ever decides to look into this possibility. Chances for advancement may also suffer, but would of course depend on his conduct overall in other duties of his job.

If the matter costs the DA the case, the officer is likely to be publicly reprimanded, and may even be fired. If you recall, in the trial of OJ Simpson, Mark Fuhrman was heavily made the scapegoat for his questionable conduct and remarks, which essentially ended his career with the LAPD.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.