D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
18858452

my fiancee and I were together for 20 years. He left me with

my fiancee and I were together for 20 years. He left me with no warning with no car , no income, and no means of supporting myself in the manner to which I am acostomed. can u off any advie for some help here!
Fortunately, South Carolina actually recognizes common law marriage. This means that as long as you and your fiancee held yourselves out to others as a married couple, then you had a common law marriage and you can file for divorce from your fiancee and the court will direct him to provide you with spousal support (alimony).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does New Jersey also recognize the same? Common law marriage and divorce?
New Jersey does not have common law marriage, although they would recognize a common law marriage if it was legally valid in another state, such as South Carolina.