Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am in default concerning paying a large alimony payment due

I am in default concerning paying a large alimony payment due to loss of income and bankrupsy. I have no personal property or savings and there are no children involved.
I am sorry to hear you are facing this financial crisis in this terrible economy. What is the actual legal question you have for us today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The areement seems to state that the decree is irrivocable. What can I expect given that it will be imposible to pay all back payments plus pay 3000. per month going forward. I am now 63. I have some imployment income but after tax and help premium there is far less than 3000 remaining.
If the agreement states it is irrevocable, it becomes a major issue that only the court where the agreement was entered into can resolve. You would have to file a motion to modify spousal support and would have to present the evidence of the significant financial hardship and seek to get the court to grant some relief to you by either reducing the amount due or waiving some amount, but these agreements are very difficult to get terminated when they state they were made irrevocable unless your ex spouse is willing to negotiate.

Perhaps you could negotiate an agreement for taking out a life insurance policy with her as beneficiary to cover the amount owed her in exchange for her waiving all of the arrears and future payments. That is one alternative.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was a term life policy in place to cover this event. However, I had

a heart attack two months after the devorce was final and have had two surgeries since. I am now uninsurable. She agreed to 500. for life but now has changed her mind. What am I to expect if it is imposible for me to pay?

She can file motions for contempt and can even try to seek to have you held in contempt and ask for jail, but with your health conditions it is not likely. You can expect if she pushes it though to litigate and present your impossible financial hardship to the court to seek some type of relief such as a reduction in monthly payments.