Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am going through a divorce; I purchased a vehicle before

I am going through a divorce; I purchased a vehicle before my wife and I were married so that she had a way to get to work and take her child to school. I've tried being civil about everything with her but she continues to make everything as difficult as possible for me. I'm at the point now where I am going to take the vehicle from her. The title, the registration, and the financing is strictly in my name alone. She has agreed to take over payments but she can't take full custody of it due to the fact that she has no credit; I have told her to find someone to take it off my hands but it's been over a month now and I'm tired of it and refuse to pay for a vehicle that is legally mine that I don't have. I want to take the vehicle away from her. Is there any way she would have a legit case to hang on to it even though it is legally mine? Should I provide proof of this and/or how our conversations have been and how irrational she has been? I live in Texas; and thank you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you purchased the vehicle prior to marriage, then under Texas community property law the vehicle is your separate property and as such during a divorce you would be entitled to claim that vehicle back. If the vehicle is in your name alone, you can also pick up the vehicle and take it if you can do so without any disturbance of the peace.

The only way that she could possibly have a claim would be if the child were yours and she needed the vehicle for the care of the child. The fact you purchased the vehicle prior to marriage and that it is in your name alone, that is all the proof you need that it is your separate property.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The child is not mine, could you explain further as far as "if she needed the vehicle to care for the child" ? I won't be able to take it from her and can assure you that she will fight me tooth and nail for it. Since we live in separate cities would it just be in my better interest to call a repo service or report the vehicle lost or stolen?
If the child is not your child, then it would not be something she could raise as to why she is entitled to keep the car. As far as recovering the car, you need to file a motion for possession of the car with the court, since it is in your name they will give it to you.

You can use a repo company, but only if they can get the car without disturbing the peace. You cannot report it lost or stolen because it is not and it would be a false report.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Filing a motion for possession of the car; is that something that needs to take place prior to the divorce or afterwards?
That can take place during the divorce at any time. You can file a motion for possession of the vehicle now on the basis that it is solely in your name making you solely liable for it and as such it should not be in her possession.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question so that my mind can be at peace; I apologize if I'm repeating myself but I just want to make absolutely sure. Even though she uses the vehicle for work transportation and needs to use it for that reason; There is still no way she can keep since it's my name on all the paperwork correct? She has her own insurance on it; is that a factor? Or does just the title, registration, and loan matter.
Even though she uses the vehicle for work, it is your vehicle in your name and your separate property, which gives you the right to it since you would be liable as the registered owner for anything she does with that vehicle (such as does not pay tolls or gets parking tickets or in an accident).
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law