xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims

Legally what is required by the landload regarding...smoke

Customer Question

Legally what is required by the landload regarding...smoke detectors, radon detector & toilet seats when a new tenant is moving in? In the state of Maryland
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

In order to better serve you, what exactly do you mean by "toilet seats?"

What city does your question involve?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Baltimore Maryland is the city and by toilet seat I'm referring to the two piece unit....the lid and the "ring" that a person would sit on.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I was finishing assisting another customer.

Baltimore requires landlords to have a Rental Housing License. The questions that you have about carbon monoxide detectors and other issues can be found at the website below. It is very informational, as it indicates what the landlord must do in order to gain a Housing License.

The issue of smoke detectors can be found in the same website, but at the link below.

If you navigate the first link that I provided, you should be able to find MORE information than even you asked for.

With respect to the toilets, the landlord must make sure that there are properly installed and working toilet seats for each toilet at the time of the move in.

If a tenant is currently living in a home/apartment and there is a dispute, if it is unresolved, the tenant may file an action in the district court. Below is a link to the issues regarding landlord/tenant matters and what the cause of action may be, as well as a resolution.

Also, below is a link to a list of questions that you may want to ask (and it would be helpful to you to write the questions down and the tenant and landlord initial each question if it is ok, or if there is a problem, who and when the problem will be repaired. That should also be initialed by the parties.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have additional questions, please ask.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied with it. We work for Positive Ratings, so it would be appreciated if you would click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, PLEASE STOP and REPLY TO ME VIA THE CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue that you have. I will be happy to continue to further work with you and do everything I can to provide you with the service that you seek. Thank you. Good luck