Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My boyfriend has been separated for months and now is aiming

Customer Question

My boyfriend has been separated for months and now is aiming to proceed with his divorce, however his wife has illegally obtained graphic pictures of me by accessing his email account without authority from him (a potential felony from what I can gather from research). She is threatening to send these pictures to my family and work. She also has threatened that there will be "hell to pay" for me in addition if I have any contact with him. I have also heard her say "I will f***ing kill her." I live in Texas. What type of legal protection can I obtain in terms of a restraining order against her for the threats and what types of civil defense can I proceed with if she does send the pictures (defamation of character?)
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
You can get an injunction against her and possibly a protective order. The protective order is a little stronger than an injunction, but also a little harder to get. However, you can apply for both and if the judge denies the protective order he will almost certainly grant the injunction. The main difference is that if she violates the protective order she is subject to immediate arrest whereas if she violates the injunction you have to take her back to court so that she can be held in contempt.

You can have the issue of the pictures covered in the injunction and protective order and have her ordered to not send them or display them to anyone else and to turn over all copies, digital or print. IF she does send them it isn't defamation or slander, you would have to sue her for harassment or intentional infliction of emotional distress.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type of ramifications can there be for her for illegally obtaining the pics in the first place?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
It depends on the exact facts but it could be a form of theft, it could also be a federal charge if she "hacked" into someone's online account. You would need to file a police report with the local police and/or with the FBI.