Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Hi. Anyone familiar with California law regarding email a

Customer Question

Hi. Anyone familiar with California law regarding email accounts?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
What are your questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wife went to heaven. I want to protect her right to privacy and close her gmail account so no chance someone can violate her right to privacy. I sent info as required http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14300, but no reply.
I do not know why Google has not responded, but ultimately what they are going to request from you would be orders from the probate court showing you are the executor or administrator of the estate of email account owner and as such you have legal rights to access the account. If they fail to respond to the order to the court showing you are the administrator/executor, then you would need a specific order from the probate court to Google to order them to close down the account. Unfortunately, the CA laws and the laws of other states as well have yet to catch up with the technology regarding internet use and email, so you have to act as executor/administrator of the estate and seek to take action legally to close the accounts down and google does this to protect themselves from legal action regarding improperly closed accounts.

However, the several times I have faxed them information, I generally received a response in less than 7 days (although one time I had to fax them twice).

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent letters of administration from the surrogate court of NYS, and a specific document from the court giving me rights of administration for electronic email accounts. After Google failed to reply, my NYS attorney sent the same documentation, and again no reply. I think I need an attorney in CA who can help and is intimately familiar with Google email issues. Yes, the statutes are behind when it comes to electronic anything.
Actually, if they have not responded upon providing the information, you would need to actually file suit against them in CA and that means needing an actual attorney in CA who can represent you, which this site forbids any expert on this site from doing. I apologize for that limitation of this service, but we are constrained by the rules of this site. To get an attorney in CA to represent you, you can use the same service used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, just as I suspected. I will have my attorney FAX them this week, and then in another 1-2 months, to have on record that we have been actively pursuing the issue, and that they have failed to reply, therefore justifying a suit in CA. Hopefully, they will reply. Thank you.
Exactly the prudent course of action, give them the rope to hang themselves and then you can show that you tried their process and they refuse compliance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the compliment. I was thinking, living as a doctor (read, "target") in new york city for over 20 years, I feel as though I almost begin to think like an attorney! Thank you for your helpful thoughtful advice and have a great day!
Thank you sir. Thinking like an attorney is not difficult for anyone who has the educational background, it is just a logical thought process and creating paper trails of proof. You have a great day and great holiday week.