Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Hello and good morning....here gos...my question is if I file

Hello and good morning....here go's...my question is if I file bankrupcy in Fl. would that wipe out my student loan debt.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that while student loan debt may be discharged in bankruptcy, it is rarely if ever done. In order to have them discharged you have to prove pretty much that you are indigent and unable to even pay your ordinary bills.

The courts use the Brunner test which requires a showing that 1) the debtor cannot maintain, based on current income and expenses, a “minimal” standard of living for the debtor and the debtor’s dependents if forced to repay the student loans; 2) additional circumstances exist indicating that this state of affairs is likely to persist for a significant portion of the repayment period of the student loans; and 3) the debtor has made good faith efforts to repay the loans. (Brunner v. New York State Higher Educ. Servs. Corp., 831 F. 2d 395 (2d Cir. 1987).

Private and subsidized student educational loans are treated the same by the bankruptcy court and very rarely discharged and the burden of proof under Brunner is fairly high for people to ever meet which is why they are rarely discharged.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well sir i am 53 yrs old...retired NAVY and student loans is the root of my financial woes i served 20 yrs for my country on six month deployments missing child births and what goes along those lines.....and i never got a GI Bill...getting to the point....don't you think those years of service count as showing good faith to pay the loan once i retired....UNCLE SAM SHOULD PROVIDED ME WITH A LEG UP ON CIVILXXXXX XXXXXFE...HOWEVER THEY SAID SINCE I ENLISTED UNDER VEAP (VETERANS EDUCATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM) AND DIDN'T LEAVE A DOLLAR IN THE ACCOUNT IT COULD NOT BE SWITCHED TO A GI BILL SO L HAVE NOTHING. AND BARELY TAKING HOME A PAYCHECK DUE TO GARNISHMENTS AND A JUDGEMENT. I FEEL I QUALIFY FOR LOAN FORGIVENESS. DUE TO 20 YEAR OF SERVING THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS.
I am sorry to hear this as it is depressing to know that the government does not take care of our men who protected our country. The service may show good faith intent to pay the loans, but while you feel you qualify for loan forgiveness based on that alone, the courts do not quite see it that way and you have to prove each of the elements outlined above when you file your bankruptcy.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law