Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

my mother recently passed....she did not have life insurance....friends

Customer Question

my mother recently passed....she did not have life insurance....friends loaned me money for her final service...there is an overpayment because bills neede paid...I had no resource..I stopped working to care for my mother...I will begin working soon...do you think repayment options will be available to me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, who is seeking repayment from you? Can you please explain what is going on here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used my mothers survivors benefit to help with burial costs...she had NO life insurance..I was the only child..NO HELP...this is from a post office pension...I am willing to pay it back...I will be working again soon...I want to know what I am facing...the act was not criminal..I needed help..hopefully payment options will exist.
While you may not have had any criminal intent in what you did, that does not mean the post office will agree that not properly reporting her death and returning the benefits would be considered theft of benefits. That being said, they do not generally prosecute the cases when a reasonable repayment plan is agreed upon, but you will have to contact them regarding the repayment plan and negotiate with them as to what they will except. The payments are generally not as low as many people may like (they are not going to take $50 or even $100 a month) and they expect substantial payments to pay off the overpayment (generally to pay off the debt in 6 months or less). If they do charge you with the benefit theft each payment you took can be a separate count and this means up to 5 years in prison for each payment you improperly received.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”