Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Is it against the law to attempt suicide in the state of California? My

Is it against the law to attempt suicide in the state of California?

My brother attempted suicide 2 weeks ago - paramedics took him to a local hospital - from there they sent him to a Psychiatric Hospital for detox treatment. He met with social workers and a Superior Court Judge. The judge deemed him fit to return home.

The attorney at the Senior Complex where he lives in Sacramento said it is against the law to attempt suicide and is a felony ... therefore they may have to evict him.

Is the attorney correct?

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you with your concerns. If you would like me to clarify my answer, I will be happy to do so.

Under California's Penal Code section 401 it is illegal to aid and abet someone who is attempting suicide, but attempting suicide on your own is NOT a crime. Therefore what the attorney stated to your brother is absolutely not the case, and a suicide attempt is not grounds for an eviction.

Hope that helps.

Kindly remember to only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" or "I expected more”, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please be aware that if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you!