Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

I live in Washington State and was cohersed in to signing an

Customer Question

I live in Washington State and was cohersed in to signing an innocent plea by my lawyer I paid 10,000.00 dollars to defend me in a case that he could have easily won. I had told my lawyer that the charges against me were false and that it was a ploy by my police husband to have an edge in his impending divorce. Because he had pull just by his signed statement against me, I was kept from my children for three years. How? He used the system against me. the so called restraining order. After my emotional trauma of being put out of my house I co-owned with my husband of twenty two years, I got full custody of my four minor children when this all was final. I went and filed an appeal with my state and laws changed on restraining orders. Now you have to have , not one, but two proofs that the person you want to be restrained from , has commited a crime. I am still convicted of a gross misdomenor of criminal mistreatment which still to this day can not be proven. I had ten medical statements from professionals that stated there was never abuse, neglect, fear or mistreatment displayed by the mother of the four children in question. The bad thing is a have a criminal record. They tried felony assult, but the prosecuter said it was hard to prove so he lowered it to where it stands now. Why do lawyers gamble with the laws of assumptions and take the word of a cop over the statements from doctors that had taken care of these children since their birth . The children were ten to thirteen years old at the time and I had been a military wife to my husband for twenty years. How long was he gone from the family? The answer is Ten out of Twenty years deployed to other countries. One statement against a wife of twenty -two years by an active duty military police is all you needed to get your wife away from her house, home , Children, livlihood ect. Thank you sombody in Washington State who deciced to have two proofs that there has been a crime commited before you can have a restraining order. This will save families from emotional trauma for years to come. How do we justify taking mothers from children on assumptions or satements by police husbands.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

What is your specific question for a legal expert to answer?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can a judge accept a innocent plea from a defendant who could not be proven guilty because ten professional statements and evidence would have proved the state prosecutor was not able to convince a jury of any crimes, would that mean that the state ered in it's judgement to accept a plea. I am convicted of crimes of mistreatment that are opposite from the statements from my children's doctors. This happened because lawyers are paid by the state. Except i paid lawyer ten thousand dollars to defend an easy enabl
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Believe it or not, something similar to this happens every day in courtrooms across the country. When a defendant is weighing a plea offer, he has many factors to consider. He would want to consider the evidence, the witnesses and their testimony, the reasonable odds of success at trial and how the sentence might be different if convicted at trial.

After weighing all these factors, the defendant is expected to make an informed and intelligent decision as to whether to enter a plea or go to trial. If the defendant decides to enter a plea, he gives up all rights associated with a trial, this includes the right to be presumed innocent.

I can tell you from experience that many criminal defendants enter a plea despite feeling that they are not guilty of the charge. There are many occasions where the defendant will want to avoid the risks of a trial and accept a plea, even where they believe themselves to be innocent.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.