Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

if sex offender is on face book and didnt know it was against

if sex offender is on face book and didnt know it was against the law what can he be charged with
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It is not illegal per se to be on social networking sites as a sex offender per any UT statute. What it is would be a violation of any terms of probation for a sex offender and you could be charged with a probation violation. As far as actual statutes, Louisiana is the first state to try to pass a law on outlawing sex offenders on social media sites, but there are constitutional issues and the law has not passed yet.

You can be charged with violation of any probation terms as a probation violation though if you are still on probation. If you are off of probation, then there are no statutes specifically prohibiting this.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he does have to register as a sex offender but is not on probation
Unless it is in his special terms and conditions, it is not against any statute yet. Like I said Louisiana is the first state just trying now to pass a law like that and they have not done so yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in the requirements on the registry said he needed to provide all internet websites he uses with sign on id when he 1st registered he didnt have internet so when he got it didnt know he had to give that to them so if this is a volation of the registry what can he be charged with concern is can this be a felony
This is a different issue and yes, it is a sex offender registration violation and it is a 3rd degree felony for failure to report as required and a 3rd degree felony in Utah is punishable by up to 5 years in prison and up to a $5000 fine.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law