lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

Hello - My Aunt Shirley passed away last month, and I (her

Hello - My Aunt Shirley passed away last month, and I (her niece) carried out her final wishes and am sorting out how to handle the final expenses and payment of debts remaining. There were no funds left after the long-term confinement due to Alzheimer's Disease, so my question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX remaining doctors bills and one credit card balance of $800. Since I am handling here affairs and had her Power of Attorney while she was living, am I obligated to pay these expenses from my funds?? There is no surviving spouse or child, and there was no estate to administer. If there is no obligation to pay from my personal funds, how do I handle the notification of these debt holders? If I make a single payment to hold off late payment fees (in case I am liable), does that lock me into an otherwise unnecessary legal agreement? Thank you for your help.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

I am glad to confirm that what you have been told is correct, you are not in any way liable for her remaining bills. You would simply send the creditor a copy of the death certificate and notify them that there is no estate. To prevent harassing phone calls you may want to temporarily use a post office box and not give them your full name or either have your phone unlisted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very, very much!!!!