JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

a person recorded my conversation with him and let everyone

a person recorded my conversation with him and let everyone hear it. is that illegal
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. What you've described is not legal in Illinois because you did not consent to it.

Offenses of the eavesdropping law are punishable as felonies, with first offenses categorized as lesser felonies than subsequent offenses. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-4.

Civil liability for actual and punitive damages is authorized as well. 720 Ill. Compiled Stat. Ann. 5/14-6.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i take action
You are free to call the police and seek charges for criminal prosecution.

Alternatively, you can sue the person, on your own, in small claims court for money damages. The process for doing that in Illinois is explained here: http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html You do not need an attorney to sue in small claims court.

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.