How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADYLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LADYLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I met a girl online, added her to facebook. We did a cam to

This answer was rated:

I met a girl online, added her to facebook. We did a cam to cam with our webcams, that has some less than desirable content (masturbation). She recorded the video of me, and is using it to blackmail me. She wanted me to spend money on some cam sites. She said if I didn't do what she said, she would upload the video to the internet, and give it to my family. I don't know where she lives, but I know her facebook name and what she looks like. She showed me the video, she does have it. What should I do? Could I sue? Should I report her to the police? Should I even be worried at all?

LADYLAWYER : Hello, Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.
LADYLAWYER : What she is doing is illegal. You can start by reporting it to your local police and also to the FBI.
LADYLAWYER : I would take her threat seriously for now as you have no idea what she intends to do with the video, if anything, or whether one exists. If you are certain a video exists, then you definitely need to be concerned
LADYLAWYER : So you really should go speak to the authorities first. They can subpoena the chat records and the IP address that she is using, which will tell them where she is located and who she really is. Then you can decide if you want to sue her civilly, because you would have a claim if you do.
LADYLAWYER : If you have any further questions about this matter, I am happy to answer them! If not, please don't forget to rate my answer before you exit the chat as it is the only way I am able to receive credit for helping you. Thanks!

Thank you. How do I go about reporting this to the FBI or Local Police? Do I need to take my computer to them?

LADYLAWYER : Where in FL are you?


LADYLAWYER : Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the link for reporting to the FBI: Andi can also look up the Deland police for you as well. You do not need to initially take your computer.

They will be able to track the IP address without it?

LADYLAWYER : Here is the info for Deland:
LADYLAWYER : I don't think they will search the computer. They're going to have to subpoena the website unless this person emailed you.

Ok, thank you. So, I should report to both?

LADYLAWYER : Yes because the police can help on the local level and the FBI will be able to deal with the issue if she is out of state.

Ok, I have started the process with reporting with the FBI, and I will do DeLand PD after I am done.

LADYLAWYER : Very good. Just let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Ok, thank you.

LADYLAWYER : You're very welcome. If you have no further questions, please don't forget to rate my answer before you leave. Thanks!

Ummm. The FBI site asks for an IP address. Should I give them mine, or leave it blank?

LADYLAWYER : You can do either.

Ok, thank you very much.


How do I rate?

LADYLAWYER : Do you see a box asking you to rate or a button that says Accept?

Ok, I got it. Sorry. Thanks again.

LADYLAWYER and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you