Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I got a room and got an escort. I left but gave her the key.

I got a room and got an escort. I left but gave her the key. This morning two police oficers came to my house and asked me if I got a room at super 8 hotel, because someone reported a robbery by a lady from the room I rented. To not have my wife divorce me at that spot, I took the officers ouside and told them that I did acquire the room but I left the room to the escort. Can I be arrested for confessing that I did solicite a prostitute?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

TexLawyer :

Admitting to prostitution is enough to be arrested, but it really depends on exactly what you told them.

TexLawyer :

What exactly did you tell them?

Customer:

I jut told them that the room was in my name and I gave her the key and I left. They were investigating someone stealing a wallet. That is it

Customer:

They did ask me if I knew her name and ad and I did showed them the ad on backpage.

TexLawyer :

So, you never told them you agreed to exchange money for sex, correct?

TexLawyer :

I ask because being an escort, itself, is not illegal. Prostitution is.

Customer:

that is correct, my exact words "I did get the room for an escort"

TexLawyer :

...but they are not necessarily the same.

Customer:

and I gave her the keys. She left and I left after her and she came back later.

TexLawyer :

Absent some other evidence, that is not enough to cause an arrest and certainly not enough for a conviction.

Customer:

even if they get the girl to testify against me?

TexLawyer :

Well, that would be some "other evidence," but for her to testify against you, she would have to admit to being a prostitute, which would get her arrested.

Customer:

I dont know if she will but they are looking for her for stealing the wallet. Ok I think I will get an attorney just in case.

Customer:
Customer:

The officers told me that I might get a call from the detectives, should I talk to them?

TexLawyer :

While it is never a bad idea to hire a lawyer if you think there is potential criminal liability, but at this point, there isn't much need for one.

TexLawyer :

No, you should not talk to them.

Customer:

if they come to my house dont let them in either? or just tell them that they have to talk to my attorney?

TexLawyer :

If the police contact you, in a very respectful tone, say this:

TexLawyer :

"Sir, I've never been questioned by the police before and, to be honest, I'm nervous I may say the wrong thing. Just to be safe, I'd like to speak to my lawyer before I speak to you."

Customer:

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. Dont close the chat I want to write it down.

Customer:

they did say that I could be charged as a assesory for giving the key to the escort, is that true? sorry I forgot this

TexLawyer :

OK. I would recommend that you wait until the police contact you before you hire a lawyer. There is a fairly good chance the police are not going to pursue the case against you, but, of course, it is impossible to say for certain.

TexLawyer :

If you gave her the key with knowledge that she was going to commit a crime, yes.

Customer:

no I did not know she was going to steal a wallet. Thank You

TexLawyer :

If you did not know she was going to steal a wallet, you did not commit a crime.

Customer:

ok thank you

TexLawyer :

Can I help you with anything else?

Customer:

nope that is all the questions I have. Now I just have to wait and see what develops.

Customer:

I am seeking help for this, I am not proud of myself.4

TexLawyer :

I understand. If you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by putting "this question is for TexLawyer" in the title.

TexLawyer :

If I can't help you with anything else, please remember to "rate" my answer.

Customer:

ok do I just close the window? or click on save and exit?

Customer:
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.