Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My husband has MS and is in a nursing home. Our medicaid application

My husband has MS and is in a nursing home. Our medicaid application was denied because my husbands monthly income is $46 over the limit. Is there any chance we can get coverage on appeal?
You can get coverage and it is going to take a little juggling. You need to contact medicaid and get permission to set up a "Miller" or special needs trust, which allows you to put some of his income into the trust which is not used by medicaid in calculation of his assets. The money put in this trust can then be used strictly for his care. It might sound like bit of a complicated thing to do for $46, but it is really the only way to get around the medicaid income qualification rules. Upon his death anything left in the special needs trust goes to medicaid. It is not something that is really denied by medicaid, but you will need to go to legal aid or contact your local senior center for assistance in getting this set up and getting his coverage approved. You would set up the trust and put $46 or $50 a month in there and it would reduce his medicaid assets and then you can use that $46 to $50 on whatever needs he has not covered by medicaid.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So can the office at the nursing home help with this or am I better off getting a lawyer?
Some social workers at the nursing homes are helpful with this and others are not. You can ask the social worker at the home if they can assist. If not, the local senior center sometimes has pro bono attorneys to assist seniors or legal aid office are the best places.