TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

In Orlando, Florida, is it legal to ride a motor scooter under

In Orlando, Florida, is it legal to ride a motor scooter under 50cc's without a license?? My license was revoked in 1996 for a 4th DUI. I have been clean and sober since successfully completing 6 months (+ 4 months after care) at an alcohol treatment center as a condition of probation. I successfully completed 6 months in county jail and 4.5 years of probation starting August 15, 1996.
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament.

In Florida, a driver is required to have a license to operate any "motor vehicle." Unfortunately, the definition of a motor vehicle includes a 50cc motor scooter. The only motorized vehicle that you can drive without a license is a 50 cc moped, but this had to be a true moped, with pedels (i.e., a bicycle with a motor attached).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The motorized scooter I'm talking about is less than 50cc, doesn't have gears to shift, goes less than 30 mph and does not have a seat or saddle. Please see Florida Statutes Article XXIII Chapter 316.003 (21) & (82) and interpret/explain.
You've pointed out the definition under the chapter regarding traffic control (316). However, under the chapter controlling drivers' licenses (322), the definitions of a motor vehicle is different.

§ 322.01. Definitions

(27) "Motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle, including a motor vehicle combination, not operated upon rails or guideway, excluding vehicles moved solely by human power, motorized wheelchairs, and motorized bicycles as defined in s. 316.003.

§ 322.03. Drivers must be licensed; penalties

(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver's license issued under this chapter.

Yes, your scooter does not qualify as a "motorcycle", but all that means is that you don't have to get a motorcycle license. Because it is self-propelled, you have to have a drivers' license.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.