Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I was driving my friends car and was involved in an accident

I live in California, I was driving my friends car and was involved in an accident which was not my fault. I have no license or insurance, my friend does have insurance coverage though. The rear bumper of my friends car is damaged, the other persons car was even more damaged. The other party accepted responsibility for the accident and the officer who arrived at the scene confirm that they were at fault thus did not fined me. I'm I still entitled to property damages? What kind of information will the other party's insurance require from me? What kind of consequences will this bring me or my friend? Will the other insurance still cover the damages to my friend's car although he wasn't driving? Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that as an unlicensed driver, you have a problem and your friend's insurance may refuse to cover this accident and the other insurance may refuse to cover because of your unlicensed status. If the other insurance company driver was at fault, then you need to file your claim because the other driver is liable to the owner of the car for the damage to the car and to you for any injury you suffered. They are going to fight this as I said because you did not have a license, but generally the courts will still hold them liable where you were not at fault and this means if you have physical injury you will need an attorney to represent you for that. Your friend's insurance is coverage on the car itself so they will typically cover anything, they will just be arguing because you have no license.

As far as damage to your friend's car typically the two insurance companies will fight this out and the other insurance company will end up paying for the damages to the car.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mr. PaulMJD,

Thank you for your response, I do want to clarify, should contact the other person's insurance or should my friend, since it was my friend's car? my friend already called his insurance to report the accident so they are now aware that I was driving his car and have no license.
Your friend needs to contact the other insurance company to file his claim since it is his car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again!
will the insurance need to talk to me or require any information from me? or will they only need to talk to my friend and get his information?
Yes, the insurance adjuster will want a statement from you about the accident and you have to talk to them when they call.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again!
Thank you. Do not forget to leave great feedback.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law