Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a co-worker passes rumors about me that has no merit,

I have a co-worker passes rumors about me that has no merit, but she has made it so that no one in the department will talk to me because they fear that I am an evil person...... she has gone as far as cutting my conversations with co-workers short by wispering something to them..resulting in a sharp glare from the person I am talking to and an incompleted conversation. she takes simple request for items to fill responsiblities of my job as snide remarks & emails our supervisor sugesting that I'm trying to start something with her...I have talked to my surpervisor & asked that something be done, as it is getting extremely difficult to come to work under these conditions. However, there are parts of our conversations that have leaked & the confidential information that I shared with my supervisor was shared with my co-workers. what can I do to turn this around so that those causing the problems is noted as such instead of the victim that she his making herself out to be? do I have any legal avenues available to me?
Under the law, the US Supreme Court has stated that the laws on hostile work environment/workplace harassment were enacted to protect employees from conduct based only on their age/race/sex/disability and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace (See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore). This means you have to prove that she is doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability in order to have a legal action against the employer for not stopping this conduct. If it is based on your age/race/sex/disability, then you can file a complaint with the EEOC first and they have to investigate to give you a right to sue letter.

As far as suit against her personally, if she is making known false statements about you to others and you are suffering damage as a result, then you could sue her for defamation and seek damages and a restraining order against her to prohibit her from making any more false statements against you.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”