Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How long until property is considered abandoned in Georgia? Abandoned

Customer Question

How long until property is considered abandoned in Georgia?

Abandoned Property State, Local And Municipal Law
I worked as a sales rep for a company and they have yet to pick up unsold inventory that has been sitting in my garage for a month now. I have called them numerous times and they always say they will call me back but never do. They are withholding my final check until they receive the inventory but are making no effort to recover the merchandise. What do I need to do?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
You can file a complaint with the Department of Labor. They are supposed to issue your check on time. You can also file a lawsuit, but a DOL complaint will get faster results.

Under your facts the property will never technically be abandoned since it was in your care, custody or control. To be abandoned it really can't be under your control at all.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what do I do with the inventory I have sitting in my garage?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
How much inventory and what kind?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's 101 sets of knives (retail value 33.97 each)=3490.97 knives
about 100 paring knives (5.00 value each)=500

presentation booth
demonstration items (not really sure about values)

but all of this stuff is taking up a lot of space in my garage.

I've called them about five times over this and they always say they will get back to me but never do. So I need some sort of remedy! I did save all correspondence between the company and myself.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
Your best solution is to send it to them COD.

Next best solution is to put the stuff in a storage shed and pay one months worth of rent and send them the info about the shed, the key, info on how long the rent is paid for, etc. That will cost you a few dollars, but not much and it does provide some protection.

In either case be sure and send them the info on how to get their product ahead of time and send it by certified mail, regular mail, email and fax and note that it was sent all those ways at the top of the letter, being sure to keep a copy for yourself.