Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My bank was served with a Legal Order concerning a repoed

My bank was served with a Legal Order concerning a repo'ed car that was taken from my husband in 2009. He is now unemployed and so now they have wiped out my bank account. Is it too late for me to now try to make any kind of arrangements with the company who got the legal order? I need to know if I have any options other than them just continuing to get legal orders and continuing to deplete my account.
I am afraid that once the levy is placed on the bank account for the judgment, the only thing you can do is go to the court and file an exemption to the levy and prove that the money they are taking is exempt from seizure. Your other option to consider is filing for bankruptcy if you qualify and then the judgment will be extinguished and they can no longer seek to enforce it and collect.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks. The only way to be exempt from a levy, however, is to get public assistance or something like that, correct?
No that is not true. Certain amounts of income are exempt from levy, such as retirement benefits or employee benefits or SS etc. Also, even if you do not have exempt assets in the account, you can provide proof of the extreme financial hardship from them seizing all of your money and the courts can order a modification of some sort or even encourage some type of payment plan to avoid further seizure (you do not need to get public assistance to get the court to release the levy though, that is only one reason not all of them).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So do I file the exemption notice with the court, or send a copy to the creditor, or what? I see here that also 75 percent of every debtor's after tax earnings are exempt. Is that also true? How is that verified and determined if so?
You file the notice of exception to levy with the court and you would send a copy of the notice to the creditor. It is true they can only garnish up to 25% of the wages of the debtor and you would have to show that the money they are seizing comes from wages, so that only 25% should be seized, which you would do with payroll and deposit records.