JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

My son was following a gravel side-dump truck on Interstate

My son was following a gravel side-dump truck on Interstate 5 at 6:30 in the morning nearly a month ago. A rock flew out of the dump and landed on my son's windshield damaging it and it requires replacement. We found the owner and have contacted them for a remedy and they are denying their responsibility. I provided photos to them identifying the location and time and license plate number of the truck. Their response was that and they feel the damage could not have come from their truck as they were on their way to pick up a load, not drop off a load, and state the damage is more likely a road hazard which they have no control of.

Can you please provide me options? My son does not want to have to pay the money to replace the windshield when he shouldn't have to and our insurance doesn't cover it. I appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your son's experience. Please clarify: how much will it cost to replace the windshield?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
approximately $300.00
Thank you.

He can sue them in small claims court (alleging negligence). The forms and instructions for doing that in Washington state are found at:

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.