Joseph Scott
Joseph Scott, Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced law for 10 years. I have handled hundreds of cases if various areas of the law.
16287480

my son was sentenced to 180 days of house arrest. has papers

my son was sentenced to 180 days of house arrest. has papers stating this. his parole officer says he must do the four years of original sentance in house unless he releases my son sooner. he said the paper my son has means nothing. what is the law on this?
Expert:  Joseph Scott replied 2 years ago.
First off, I am sorry for your situation. Your son's parole officer is probably trying to scare him in the beginning so he know that if he doesn't obey the rules of his parole, the parole officer will try to get his parole revoked and have him sent to prison. The parole officer does not make any final decisions. He monitors your sons progress and makes recommendations to the court; however, the judge is the person who makes the final decision.

To answer your question, if the papers say 180 days of house arrest, your son will only have to serve 180 days or six months. The parole officer cannot add to the sentence, only the judge can. And if the judge sentenced your son to 180 days, then, if he complies with the terms of his house arrest, he will only have to serve 180 days. Just be careful to not tick off the parole officer because he can make your sons life miserable and if he tries to revoke his parole for not complying with the terms of house arrest.

But, once again, he cannot give your son a longer sentence. Only the judge can. I hope that helps, please let me know if you need anything else.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please hit accept. If you need further clarification, please let me know and I will be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have. Good luck with all that you have going on.

My best,

J. Scott
Joseph Scott, Attorney
Experience: I have practiced law for 10 years. I have handled hundreds of cases if various areas of the law.