TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

How can I prosecute a possible degree mill called Lorenz U

How can I prosecute a possible degree mill called Lorenz University?

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

I'd be happy to help you.

Zachary D. Norris :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I am.

Zachary D. Norris :

What is it that the university has done that you want to sue for?

Zachary D. Norris :

Actually, I'm seeing your previous statement that they refused to send you a transcript

Zachary D. Norris :

And as a result you lost your job?

Customer:

I have been attempting to obtain an official transcript from their university, which I achieved a Bachelor's Degree through their "life experience/work degree" program. I can't get them to send the official transcript to my recent employer and I lost my job and can't get my final paycehck. Yes to both.

Zachary D. Norris :

Where is the university located?

Customer:

From what I have been able to search on them - they are now considered to be a degree mill. They say Bethlehem, PA.

Zachary D. Norris :

Is this a virtual university (i.e., you attended online)?

Zachary D. Norris :

Have they sent you a diplomma?

Zachary D. Norris :

Or any form of certificate showing that you graduated?

Customer:

No, I gave them my resume' and my work experience history, college history and credential and this was converted into a B.S. degree in EMS. Yes, the sent the diplomia to me in Oct. 2010.

Customer:

I have an entire packet sent to ME - with transcript, degree, letters of recommendations, etc.

Zachary D. Norris :

You were given a bachelors degree, but you did not take any classes with the actual university, correct?

Customer:

Forgive the typos, I had recent carpal tunnel surgery, which failed.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm sorry to hear that

Zachary D. Norris :

typos are ok though

Zachary D. Norris :

I might have some too

Customer:

Correct, they converted all my former resume, credentials, work experience, into the degree. That's ok. I think we can get by...lol.

Zachary D. Norris :

OK, so, I'm a bit unclear on what a transcript would even say for you since you did not take any classes. However, this sounds like it would be violating several statutes.

Zachary D. Norris :

You can sue under the Tennessee Consumer Protection Act

Zachary D. Norris :

Fraud and breach of contract

Zachary D. Norris :

You can technically sue them in Tennessee court by establishing that they offered you a service on line and thus activate the Tennessee long arm jurisdiction statute.

Customer:

They gave me semester hours for microbiology, which I have never had, and other crazy sounding classes, etc. I checked with my state's educator representative before I did this and she said it was acceptable and accredited. I worked for the state of TN as am EMT/Paramedic Program Director until last week, now I don't have a job because of this nor a paycheck.

Zachary D. Norris :

Why did you lose your job?

Customer:

I had to supply an official college transcript from Lorenz University - not a copy of the one I had, Lorenz did not send it after multiple requests. They keep saying it will be sent in 10 days, now 2 days. Constant run-around.

Zachary D. Norris :

I see. It's arguable that you can sue for lost wages as a consequential damage to the breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation.

Customer:

I truly believe from all my research tonight on the internet and their lack of response regarding sending the transcript that they are illegal and fraudulent.

Zachary D. Norris :

Yes, it sounds illegal and fraudulent.

Zachary D. Norris :

I am not certain that a business can legally grant a bachelors degree without some sort of curriculum requirement.

Zachary D. Norris :

I think that they have perpetrated fraud on you

Customer:

What are the steps that I need to follow to pursue legal action?

Zachary D. Norris :

OK.

Zachary D. Norris :

First, we need to talk about what you want to recover.

Zachary D. Norris :

If you want to simply recover the amount you paid to the university, then you can handle this action yourself in small claims court

Zachary D. Norris :

But the problem there is that they are out of state.

Zachary D. Norris :

If you want to recover for your lost wages and for punitive damages for the fraud, then you really need to hire an attorney to handle it.

Customer:

The expense of the actual degree along with costs incurred for further education using this dfegree and lost wages, etc.

Zachary D. Norris :

Yep, this is going to be something you need to put into district court

Zachary D. Norris :

Perhaps even federal court.

Customer:

Okay, do you know who I should contact to do this?

Zachary D. Norris :

This would be a process that you need an attorney to handle unfortunately. The pleading (written submissions) are difficult in legal theory and will be beyond the scope of something a non-lawyer could do. The first thing I would start with is contacting the state consumer affairs division to start a complaint process: http://tn.gov/consumer/index.shtml

Zachary D. Norris :

The next thing you are going to want to do is shop this case around to different attorneys in your local area to see if anyone is interested in representing you.

Customer:

I am a paramedic instructor and required to have a B.S. to pursue this occupation. I thought it was valid and was told so by the state of TN. Now, I don't believe they are even accredited.

Zachary D. Norris :

This would mean you need to open up the phone book (or google) and start getting numbers and making calls

Zachary D. Norris :

I understand. I do not think it is valid.

Customer:

Okay. Is there anyway I can print out your advise so I can have it to refer to as I intend to pursue legal action immediately.

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm not sure...best way is to probably copy and paste this chat into a word document

Customer:

Okay - will try. Thanks so much for your help. I am sure this will be a long drawn-out process.

Zachary D. Norris :

it most likely will...but it's worth while to stand up to these fraudsters and keep them from doing the same thing to someone else.

Customer:

Yes. I agree! I hate to someone else go through the heartache and disappointment as well as financial loss I've had for the past 2 weeks.

Zachary D. Norris :

Good Luck

Customer:

Thank you so much!