Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I am a diabled person with a permanent handicap parking permit.

I am a diabled person with a permanent handicap parking permit. I was issued a summons which stated I was parked in a transfer zone . I had no idea what a transfer zone is so I asked its the blue diagnoal lines. I use a scooter. They told me even though I have a legal handicap parking permit it doesn't apply to handicap transfer zones. I still don't get it can you please explain. I did plead not guilty & have to go to a conference hearing so I'd like to know how to answer this
Expert:  Zachary replied 2 years ago.

Zachary D. Norris :

Hi

Zachary D. Norris :

I'm happy to answer your question.

Zachary D. Norris :

Please give me a second to review your question.

Zachary D. Norris :

Ok

Zachary D. Norris :

I understand your issue.

Zachary D. Norris :

The problem is that you were not parked in a parking space.

Zachary D. Norris :

A transfer zone is the space between handicap parking spaces that allows a handicap person to transfer their wheelchair/scooter, etc, into their car.

Zachary D. Norris :

That is why you got the ticket.

Customer:

Even though I was getting a scooter out of my car?

Zachary D. Norris :

Were you parked in a parking spot, or were you in the spot with the blue diagnol lines?

Customer:

I was actually 1/2 in handicap spot & 1/2 in transfer zone

Zachary D. Norris :

This is why you got the ticket.

Zachary D. Norris :

Your car has to be completely in the handicap parking spot and not intruding into the transfer zone.

Zachary D. Norris :

However, If I were you, I'd still fight the ticket.

Customer:

ok so I should still attend the conferance hearing

Zachary D. Norris :

Yes. Obviously you were confused by the parking zone markings, which is the defense you should use.

Zachary D. Norris :

You were attempting to park in a handicapped parking space which was not clearly marked

Zachary D. Norris :

And that is why you shouldn't get the parking ticket.

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs