David L
David L, Attorney
Experience:  Corporate, Real Estate, Estate Planning, Probate and General Litigation attorney 14+ years
11661736

what type of lawyer do i need to go over a defined retirement

what type of lawyer do i need to go over a defined retirement plan a company had for me
and some years didn't contrubet to but did to other employes

Hello and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. You would probably want to consult with an attorney specializing in employment law. You can search for this type of attorney in your area on Google, or you can also search on sites such as martindale.com and lawyers.com.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

I noticed that you rated "I expected more." I specifically asked you to "Please let me know if I can help you further." What additional information can I provide for you? Please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i would like to know if is illegal to contrubet to some employes an knot others

and what steps should i take

Thanks for the clarification. There are a number of different defined plans with different rules. Thus, it would first be important to determine the specific plan type the employer offered. For example, under a "Traditional" 401k plan, an employer cannot be discriminatory in its contribution practices. Under the terms of this plan, employers have the option of making contributions on behalf of all participants,
making matching contributions based on employees' elective deferrals, or both. Thus, if you were a participant in a traditional plan, the employer could make contributions for everyone, or match your contribution, or both. Also, the contributions could be subjecting to vesting rules, meaning if you left employment prior to being vested, the amounts contributed by your employer would be forfeited.

It would be important for you or your attorney to first review the plan documents in detail to determine the type of plan. At that point, you could make a legal determination whether the plan terms were violated.