socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Greetings, My rental is in San Diego, Ca. My property manager

Customer Question

Greetings,
My rental is in San Diego, Ca. My property manager told me I can dispose of their abandoned property after 18 days. I'm afraid of liability because thedy left so much.
I am the owner of the property. The family were long term tenants, ten plus years. The housepayments got later and later. Finally when he brought the rent in almost 20 days late I toldcx the property manager he'll never catch up. So he served a three day notice to pay or quit. Still no rent and no keys. His Atty. eventually prepared a default package he calls it. The tenant left the keys on his desk afterwards and shut off the water. He put it in his companies name. The family left no forwarding address. He told me I could dispose of the property after 18 days. The time has passed but if I have it hauled away will I have no liability? He was a painting contractor and left four tall ladders, lots of paint and even a large screen older production television. Can you site the authority with your answer of the safest way I should handle this? Thank you Lexie
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
The process for disposal of abandoned property of a residential tenant, while somewhat clumsy, is set forth in Civil Code 1983 through 1988 (scroll down to section 1983). Just follow the steps, and if you have specific questions, let me know.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)