TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

The other side lied in the answers for request for admissions.

The other side lied in the answers for request for admissions. They also said very clear questions were unclear and didn't answer them. What can I do now? Can I file a motion to strike their answers because they lied? In the motion do I have to prove they lied with exhibits? Or do I file to compel truthful answers? NC federal

Zachary D. Norris :

Zachary D. Norris :

Thank you for your question.

Zachary D. Norris :

As a litigator, I've run into this issue many times.

On the requests which they refused to answer, you need to file a motion to compel and request a ruling on their objections.

In regard to the untruthful answers, there is no procedure you can follow at this point. You cannot force a party to respond truthfully. However, if a party denied a request for Admission that they should have admitted, and you prove the denial false at the trial, you can collect your expenses in having to prove the truth and request sanctions after it has been proven at the trial.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Please remember to only rate my answer once you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more," please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris