Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Just bought a home in plantation florida, broward county on

Just bought a home in plantation florida, broward county on april 13 2012. Was not living in the house do to some repairs. Moved in on june 5th 2012. I apply for the water service until recently. I was forced to pay $390.00 from the previous owner or they would not turn the service on. They are charging me from february to april 13 2012. I did not own the house at that time. Is it legal for them to force me to pay under durress for a service i never used. Will I be able to sue the plantation town for forcing me to pay for services i never used.
Unfortunately, the bills for utilities stay with the property and can be enforced against the new owner before they turn on utilities. As the new owner, your recourse is to file suit against the seller to recover any money you had to pay for utilities that they failed to pay while they were owners. Because of the low amount you can sue in small claims court without an attorney and seek to recover your money.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the CONTINUE CONVERSATION/REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require. Kindly remember to only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" or "I expected more” (bad service or poor service), please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the THREE STARS/POSITIVE FACES OR BETTER so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the answer you submitted to me for the state of florida broward county. And even if there were no liens they can still charge me!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Was your answer for the state of florida broward county. And can they do this even if there is no lien
It is for the state of FL which is governed by their utilities commission. Unfortunately, they can do so even if there is no lien, but fortunately you do have grounds to recover from the seller.